08 February 2010

Introducing My Story Tweets

On 1 January 2010, I began a new writing project via my Twitter account. Each day, I tweet one sentence, sometimes more depending on the length of the preceding sentence. Each sentence serves as the next line in an overall story.

My goal is to tweet once a day, every day for one year. In the end, I should end up with a complete story that is 40,000 - 50,000 words in length.

I've milled around this story for awhile. It is somewhat reminiscent of Kurt Vonnegut, in that there are sci-fi elements. Here's the basic storyline:
Feeling as though he were born fifty years too late, a desperate writer unwittingly travels back to the Beat Generation in an attempt to beat Jack Kerouac to the punch.

I have a four-part strategy to crafting and publishing this story:
  • Phase 1 - Tweet one sentence (or more if space affords it) per day.
  • Phase 2 - Compile and blog all my story-related tweets on my blog at the end of each month.
  • Phase 3 - Create a WebRing exclusive to the chapters of this story.
  • Phase 4 - Revise and then self-publish my tweets at the start of 2011.
My Challenge to You
I encourage each of you aspiring writers to follow suit and start tweeting out a story. If you've always wanted to write a novel, but never seem to find the time, Twitter is the answer. You merely need to type up to 140 characters a day, including spaces and punctuation.

Not a writer but want to read along? Follow me on Twitter @kylestich.

No comments: